- It does not deserve the hate it’s getting– No, it’s not your enjoyable but cartoonish Marvel movie full of cutsie one liners and popcorn plots, but there is plenty to like about it. These movies dare to examine the way the world would actually react to having super-powered beings among us. It is too heavy handed but not as slit-your-wrists depressing as the haters seem to think.
- I loved Henry Cavill, Gal Gadot, Jeremy Irons, Amy Adams, Lawrence Fishburne and especially Ben Affleck in their roles– I wish they would have had Batman use more of his big brain in the film, but overall Affleck was terrific.
- Jessie Eisenberg was exactly what I expected– a terrible Lex Luthor. Horrible take on the character and a bad casting choice.
- Too long– It was overwrought with flashbacks, dream sequences and too much set up.
Overall I enjoyed it even if I wish they’d give us a little more joy and wonder and a little less gravitas. Man of Steel was a much more depressing, brooding, and soulless than this was, so it’s a step in the right direction. Superman and Batman demonstrate more of the heroic attributes we should expect from the characters than reviews lead you to think, especially at the end. It gives me hope the solo Wonder Woman (and Gal Gadot kicked ass in this film, as little as she was involved), Flash, Aquaman, and Cyborg films will be winners. Like the best of the Marvel character film subjects, these DC characters come with a lot less baggage than Batman and Superman. If they can just stop concentrating on the social issues surrounding metahumans and just pit the heroes against some bad guys in some engaging stories, they’d have better success with critics and the public.
Oh, and fire Zack Synder so he can go direct a reboot of the “Care Bears” where they are vilified and persecuted by villagers because they talk and have pictures on their chests. They’d have muted, dirty colors and big fangs. Have someone with a little more sense of fun take over the franchise.
565 Sketch o'the Week: Anthony Hopkins! #westworld #madmagazine #caricature
- Classic Rock Sketch Series (19)
- Freelancing (149)
- General (1,140)
- Illustration Throwback Thursday (32)
- It's All Geek to Me! (52)
- Just Because… (1)
- MAD Magazine (506)
- Mailbag (500)
- Monday MADness (147)
- News (711)
- On the Drawing Board (157)
- Presidential Caricatures (47)
- Sketch O'The Week (524)
- Surf's Up Dept. (29)
- Tales from the Theme Park (16)
- Tutorials (17)
- Wall of Shame (16)