Cover art by Bill Janocha
I received a pleasant surprise in my mailbox yesterday… the newest issue of Stay Tooned! Magazine in all it’s hot-off-the-press glory. I also got a lot of pre-approved credit card offers, but they were considerably less thrilling. Still, anything addressed to me (and I count “Current Resident” as being addressed to me) in the mailbox in the middle of a Minnesota winter is something. When your mail is delivered by dogsled even the junk mail is welcome.
Stay Tooned! is far from junk mail, though… that is genuine “glad to see it” mail.
Publisher John Read continues his string of excellence with another great issue, featuring among other things:
- Jack and Carol Bender (Alley Oop)
- Roz Chast (Gag Cartoonist- The New Yorker)
- Jeff Koterba (Editorial Cartoonist)
- Joe Bluhm (Caricaturist, animator, illustrator)
- Justin Thompson (Mythtickle)
- Mort Walker (duh… Beetle Bailey and Hi and Lois)
- “Honey, I wanna Be a Cartoonist” by John Hambrock (The Brilliant Mind of Edison Lee)
- “NCS Cartoonists USO Trip to the Middle East” by Bruce Higdon (Punderstatements)
- “Reflections of a Gag Writer” by Don Hagist (duh… Gag Writer)
- Regular contributions from R.C. Harvey, Scott Nickel and yours truly
It was particularly cool to see my buddy, the mega-talented Joe Bluhm, profiled in this issue.
As usual the magazine is a great read from cover to cover. I have been singing the praises of Stay Tooned! since it’s first issue and for good reason. John’s efforts are herculean and the results are really top notch. If you are either in the cartooning field, aspire to it or are just a fan and you do NOT have a subscription to Stay Tooned!, you are doing yourself a major disservice. If you are thinking “Oh, I can just go there and buy a back issue whenever I want” then think again… the entire runs of issues 1 thru 4 are SOLD OUT. Gone, vamoosed, poof. Go immediately to their website and subscribe so you do not miss out on another issue. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200 (although that would be nice).
Sign up for the latest news, Caricature Workshops and more!
929 New profile pic courtesy of my self-caricature for the Scott Maiko penned article “Gotcha! Mug Shots of Common (but Despicable) Criminals” from MAD 550
- Classic Rock Sketch Series (42)
- Freelancing (152)
- General (1,216)
- Illustration Throwback Thursday (44)
- It's All Geek to Me! (53)
- Just Because… (1)
- MAD Magazine (562)
- Mailbag (546)
- Monday MADness (190)
- News (800)
- On the Drawing Board (159)
- Presidential Caricatures (47)
- Sketch O'The Week (572)
- Stuff from my Studio (5)
- Surf's Up Dept. (29)
- Tales from the Theme Park (17)
- Tutorials (18)
- Wall of Shame (17)