In comic book shops, on the iPad and in subscribers mailboxes now, on news stands everywhere tomorrow:
- Cover (Mark Fredrickson)
- “Weird AL” Welcome (Al Yankovic, Hermann Mejia)
- Letters and Tomatoes (Answered by Al Yankovic)
- The Fundalini Pages (Kenny Keil, Chris Houghton, John Kerschbaum, Joe Dator, Ward Sutton, Desmond Devlin, Kevin Pope, Dick DeBartolo, Teresa Burns Parkhurst)
- The Weird Al-ini Pages (Anton Emdin, Patton Oswald, Scott Bricher, Seth Green, Bob Staake, Chris Hardwicke, Kristen Schaal & Rich Blomquist, James Warhola, Emo Philips, Rick Tulka, Thomas Lennon, John Hodgman)
- Pages From Weird Al’s Notebook (Al Yankovic, Sam Sisco, Sam Viviano (uncredited))
- Things You Never want to Learn from Ancestry.com (John Caldwell)
- Spy vs. Spy (Peter Kuper)
- Snappy Answers to Stupid Questions, Special Weird Al Edition (Al Jaffee)
- MAD’s Tom Bunk Visits a Weird Al Concert (Tom Bunk)
- The Baleful Yarn of the Mourning McGees (John Caldwell, Phil McAndrew)
- Planet TAD!!!!! (Tim Carvell)
- A MAD Look at California (Sergio Aragonès, colorist: Tom Luth)
- Things to Ask Your Sex Ed Teacher (Kenny Keil, Jose Garibaldi)
- The Captivating Tale of Pedro’s Execution (John Caldwell, Phil McAndrew)
- The Mad Vault- From MAD #93, March 1965 (Weird Al by Rick Tulka, Artist: Mort Drucker, Writer: Larry Siegel)
- President Obama’s Bucket List (Mike Morse, Paul Coker)
- The Strip Club (Kenny Keil, K.C.Green, Christopher Baldwin, Kit Lively & Scott Nickel, Nathan Cooper, Box Brown, Phil McAndrew, Peet Tamburino)
- American Sniping (David Shayne, Tom Richmond)
- The Best of the Idiotical (Uncredited)
- Drawn Out Dramas- Various margins throughout the magazine (Sergio Aragonès)
- The MAD Fold-In (Al Jaffee)
According to the MAD scholars on the MAD Mumblings facebook group, “Weird Al” Yankovic appears in caricature and astounding 46 times in this issue. I know he appears at the end of the parody of “Amercian Sniper” I worked on with writer David Shayne. I’ll post a sneak peek at that tomorrow.
Now, What are you waiting for… a furshlugginer invitation?!? Go out and buy a copy, clod!
I haven’t had to post this image in a long time, but I am fresh out of questions for the Sunday mailbag!
Well, it’s not really completely empty, but the only ones I’ve got right now are either repeats of previous questions or of the “can you teach me how to cross-hatch?” or “how do you exaggerate people in caricature?” variety which aren’t really questions so much as they are requests for long and involved tutorials, and are needing a lot more time than I can give for this weekly feature. A good Sunday Mailbag question can certainly involve an image or two and a somewhat long answer, but anything like a tutorial is a different matter.
It’s entirely possible that people have run out of questions. I have been doing this every week for almost nine years, and there are only so many questions people might have about freelancing, illustration, etc. So maybe this feature has run it’s course. I guess that’s up to you.
So, if you have questions concerning cartooning, illustration, freelancing, MAD Magazine or other similar subjects I’ll be happy to answer them as best I can. E-mail me your questions and I’ll try and answer them here!