The big news on the MAD move to Burbank is… there is no news. DC Entertainment has given no official (or unofficial for that matter, at least to my knowledge) information on their plans for the magazine once it gets to the west coast. Here’s the little I do know:
- The New York staff will be doing the magazine through issue 550. This will be the last issue produced in NYC by the current MAD staff, and will be out in Feb 2018 but will be produced before Dec 31, 2017. The offices will close at the end of 2017.
- I’m told only one of the current staff is making the trip to Burbank, and that is one of the production artists who have been with MAD for only 6 months or so. Starting with issue 551 there will be essentially an entirely new staff for both editorial and the art department. There has been zero information shared on who those people may be.
- MAD will continue to be a magazine, and will not switch to a comic book format (a rumor that was going around).
Seriously, that’s all I know. I’m not even holding back any secret information I was given but told not to divulge. Nada. Zilch. Zippo. Maybe there will be some big announcements at San Diego Comic Con next month… I’d certainly like to have some idea of what to expect in 2018 and beyond.
737 My cover art for the next issue of MAD, exclusive sneak peek from @entertainmentweekly website
- Classic Rock Sketch Series (34)
- Freelancing (150)
- General (1,189)
- Illustration Throwback Thursday (39)
- It's All Geek to Me! (52)
- Just Because… (1)
- MAD Magazine (541)
- Mailbag (525)
- Monday MADness (171)
- News (763)
- On the Drawing Board (159)
- Presidential Caricatures (47)
- Sketch O'The Week (552)
- Surf's Up Dept. (29)
- Tales from the Theme Park (17)
- Tutorials (17)
- Wall of Shame (17)