In honor of spring training opening this week, today’s Monday MADness comes from MAD #434, October 2003…a feature written by Barry Liebmann that asks the question: what would the world be like “Without Sports…”. Click the image below for an embiggened look at my art and follow along with the key for a sampling of Barry’s many gags from the original article:
- … many of the athletes who receive millions to endorse sneakers would only be qualified to work in the same 3-cent-an-hour sweatshops that manufacture them.
- … the only people left to grab their own crotch in public would be three-year-olds, incontinent seniors, and Eminem.
- … God would be able to concentrate on world hunger and curing illnesses once he’s no longer besieged by Cubs and Red Sox fans praying for a World Series win (and yes, that “God” is Bill Gaines).
- … Bobby Knight would be tranquilized, Mike Tyson would be lobotomized, and O.J. would be on Death Row.
- … Pro Wrestling would be totally unchanged.
404 First in a series of "Westworld" caricatures... the fetching Evan Rachel Wood! @evanrachelwood @hbowestworld @mad.magazine #westworld
- Classic Rock Sketch Series (19)
- Freelancing (149)
- General (1,135)
- Illustration Throwback Thursday (31)
- It's All Geek to Me! (52)
- Just Because… (1)
- MAD Magazine (505)
- Mailbag (497)
- Monday MADness (144)
- News (707)
- On the Drawing Board (156)
- Presidential Caricatures (47)
- Sketch O'The Week (522)
- Surf's Up Dept. (29)
- Tales from the Theme Park (16)
- Tutorials (17)
- Wall of Shame (16)