As promised, here are a couple of panels from “Ho-Hum Land” appearing in the latest issue of MAD. written by David Shayne.
And in case you missed it, here’s the splash:
As I mentioned briefly before, this particular piece has a special significance for me, since it represents the 100th issue of MAD my work has appeared in. My first appearance was in issue #399 back in October of 2000, and since then I’ve had work in all but 25 of the subsequent 124 issues. That magic #100 should be updated sometime soon on Mike Slaubaugh’s MAD lists page. According to Mike’s list, I am #36 in the most frequent contributors list.
I have a hard time remembering what year and what issue I did what for the magazine, so I created a spreadsheet to keep track some time ago. It gives me some interesting stats:
As of MAD #523:
- No. of issues appeared in: 100
- No. of issues with more than one piece in it: 7
- No. of movies parodies: 25
- No. of TV parodies: 30
- Total number of pages published: 433
- Writer most collaborated with: Desmond Devlin- 28 articles illustrated
Just some useless stats, but fun to keep track of.
Incidentally, by this time next week I should have turned in my latest MAD job, which will raise the movie parody, Des Devlin collaboration and total issues appeared in by one, and total pages up to 440!
Sign up for the latest news, Caricature Workshops and more!
134 Throwback Thursday! Art from the “Coneheads” comic book miniseries I pencilled for Marvel circa 1994 #SNL #coneheads
- Classic Rock Sketch Series (40)
- Freelancing (152)
- General (1,203)
- Illustration Throwback Thursday (41)
- It's All Geek to Me! (52)
- Just Because… (1)
- MAD Magazine (552)
- Mailbag (537)
- Monday MADness (180)
- News (780)
- On the Drawing Board (159)
- Presidential Caricatures (47)
- Sketch O'The Week (562)
- Surf's Up Dept. (29)
- Tales from the Theme Park (17)
- Tutorials (17)
- Wall of Shame (17)