As promised, here are a couple of panels from “Ho-Hum Land” appearing in the latest issue of MAD. written by David Shayne.
And in case you missed it, here’s the splash:
As I mentioned briefly before, this particular piece has a special significance for me, since it represents the 100th issue of MAD my work has appeared in. My first appearance was in issue #399 back in October of 2000, and since then I’ve had work in all but 25 of the subsequent 124 issues. That magic #100 should be updated sometime soon on Mike Slaubaugh’s MAD lists page. According to Mike’s list, I am #36 in the most frequent contributors list.
I have a hard time remembering what year and what issue I did what for the magazine, so I created a spreadsheet to keep track some time ago. It gives me some interesting stats:
As of MAD #523:
- No. of issues appeared in: 100
- No. of issues with more than one piece in it: 7
- No. of movies parodies: 25
- No. of TV parodies: 30
- Total number of pages published: 433
- Writer most collaborated with: Desmond Devlin- 28 articles illustrated
Just some useless stats, but fun to keep track of.
Incidentally, by this time next week I should have turned in my latest MAD job, which will raise the movie parody, Des Devlin collaboration and total issues appeared in by one, and total pages up to 440!
- Classic Rock Sketch Series (33)
- Freelancing (150)
- General (1,182)
- Illustration Throwback Thursday (38)
- It's All Geek to Me! (52)
- Just Because… (1)
- MAD Magazine (538)
- Mailbag (522)
- Monday MADness (169)
- News (756)
- On the Drawing Board (159)
- Presidential Caricatures (47)
- Sketch O'The Week (549)
- Surf's Up Dept. (29)
- Tales from the Theme Park (17)
- Tutorials (17)
- Wall of Shame (17)