Better late than never today, even if I am doing another of my shameless plugs for the Limited Artist’s Edition of my book, complete with a caricature of YOU (or the person of your choice) drawn by me in a signed, numbered, limited-to-120-editions copy.
To make it up to you, I will make this into a little lesson. Below is the main reference pic I used to draw Jayce here, and below that are the observations I made about his face, with corresponding mark-ups on the photo.
- Overall head shape: Long. Need to elongate head and the correspondingly narrow face.
- Narrow bridge of nose, strong bone structure
- Outside corner of eye very high and flattened
- upper mouth area distinctively shaped, wide past corners of mouth
- Small, slightly recessed chin
- Strong lines from chin to mouth corner, again from behind that line to cheekbone
- Strong cheekbones
Forgot to mention eyebrows. Very distinct shape, flat across bottom and angled into that bony nose bridge in an “angry” sort of way.
- Classic Rock Sketch Series (33)
- Freelancing (150)
- General (1,182)
- Illustration Throwback Thursday (38)
- It's All Geek to Me! (52)
- Just Because… (1)
- MAD Magazine (538)
- Mailbag (522)
- Monday MADness (169)
- News (756)
- On the Drawing Board (159)
- Presidential Caricatures (47)
- Sketch O'The Week (549)
- Surf's Up Dept. (29)
- Tales from the Theme Park (17)
- Tutorials (17)
- Wall of Shame (17)