This has been in the works for a while but is just getting announced today: A week long “Cruise with Cartoonists” in the Caribbean January 17th-24th, 2016, all funds raised will go to benefit the National Cartoonists Society Foundation!
If you’ve ever seen me post about the National Cartoonist’s Society Reuben Awards Weekend here and think “It would be a lot of fun to go to one of those events and get a chance to meet some big-name cartoonists”, now’s your chance to do it… but for a whole week, not just a weekend. On one of the largest and most luxurious cruise ships in the world. All around the Caribbean. With free drinks. NCS Foundation president Steve McGarry has put together a terrific lineup of guest cartoonists and event itinerary for the cruise.
Here’s what it is all about: Those who cruise with the Cartoonists group will get admission to any and all of the events planned with the guest cartoonists. These include speaking presentations, workshops and talks about breaking into and working in the business, entertainment events like the “Quick on the Draw” show, several “Meet and Draws” where you can get free autographs and sketches by all the cartoonists, cocktail parties and other fun. You’ll also have your dinner table hosted by one of the cartoonists once or more over the course of the trip. Plus, you get the free beverage package, which includes all the house wine, beer, soda, well, call and premium cocktails, and frozen drinks you can handle all week!
Here’s the speaker lineup:
- Jim Borgman– “Zits” syndicated comic strip; Pulitzer prize winning editorial cartoonist; 1993 Reuben Award winner
- Lynn Johnston– “For Better or For Worse” syndicated comic strip; 1985 Reuben Award winner
- Jeff Keane– “The Family Circus” syndicated comic strip
- Rick Kirkman– “Baby Blues” syndicated comic strip; 2012 Reuben Award winner
- Mike Luchovich– Two time Pulitzer prize winning editorial cartoonist, 2005 Reuben Award winner
- Steve McGarry– “BiographiC” and “Kid’s Town” syndicated comics; “Minions” movie story artist
- Bill Morrison– “The Simpsons” and “Futurama” artist and art director; NCS President
- Mike Peters– “Mother Goose and Grimm” syndicated comic strip; Pulitzer prize winning editorial cartoonist, 1991 Reuben Award winner
- Michael Ramirez– Two time Pulitzer prize winning editorial cartoonist
- Tom Richmond– uhhhhhh… moving on….
- Jerry Scott– “Zits” and “Baby Blues” syndicated comic strips; 2001 Reuben Award winner
- Rick Stromoski– “Soup to Nuts” syndicated comic strip; Greeting Cards
All of these cartoonists will be doing individual presentations, as well as participating in group activities like several “Meet and Draws”, hosting tables for dinner, and lounging around by the pool.
As for me, I will be doing both a presentation on my work and a 2 1/2 hour workshop on drawing caricatures… the first time I have EVER done a public workshop (and maybe the last time). I’ll also be drawing free caricatures of people at these meet and greets, hosting a table at each dinner, participating in the “Quick on the Draw” event… and lounging by the pool.
This is going to be a really fun week… and it all takes place on the giant cruise ship “Freedom of the Seas”, with port stops in Haiti, Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. If you are a fan of cartooning, interested in doing it as a career, or just want to have an excuse for taking a January cruise in the Caribbean, look no further.
So how to you book this incredible trip? Just visit the NCS website or this direct page for all the details. The price includes food AND drinks for the entire week. If you book the trip under my name, you will get something extra: I will take the time on the cruise to do a pen and ink caricature of you, on your own or with your significant other. This will not be like the quick 10 minute sketches I do at the meet and greets. This will be something I spend some time on. How do you book under my name? Just select it in the dropdown box on the booking page:
That’s it. I’ll get a list of people who booked under my name, and I’ll bring my fancy pens and paper!
The best part of this is that all the proceeds go to the NCS Foundation, to help fund their programs like the “Cartooning for Kids” children’s hospital visits, the Jay Kennedy Memorial Scholarship, the Milt Gross Fund for cartoonists experiencing financial hardships, and other worthy endeavors.
I hope to see you on the high seas!
164 Thanks all for a great workshop in Orlando this past weekend! Check my website for future caricature workshop locations: http://www.tomrichmond.com/workshops/
- Classic Rock Sketch Series (19)
- Freelancing (149)
- General (1,140)
- Illustration Throwback Thursday (32)
- It's All Geek to Me! (52)
- Just Because… (1)
- MAD Magazine (506)
- Mailbag (500)
- Monday MADness (148)
- News (711)
- On the Drawing Board (157)
- Presidential Caricatures (47)
- Sketch O'The Week (524)
- Surf's Up Dept. (29)
- Tales from the Theme Park (16)
- Tutorials (17)
- Wall of Shame (16)