Fifteen years ago this month The Lovely Anna threw a party at our house to celebrate the release of MAD #399, which contained my very first published piece for the magazine. A lot of water has passed under the bridge since that issue hit the stands. Here are some stats and facts from my one and a half decades with MAD:
- #399 turned out to be the last fully black and white issue of MAD printed on the old paper stock. #400 was a special color anniversary issue, #401 and #402 contained color portions and were on the upgraded stock, and in #403 it was announced MAD was switching to full color.
- Current MAD Art Director Ryan Flanders started with MAD at virtually exactly the same time I did.
- My first TV parody: “Malcontent in the Muddle” in MAD #403, March 2001.
- My first movie parody: “Traff-ecch” in MAD #405, May 2001.
- MAD went quarterly as of issue #500, then switched to bi-monthly with issue #504
- Number of issues my work has appeared in (thru #536): 113
- Number of TV parodies I’ve drawn: 36
- Number of movie parodies I’ve drawn: 30
- Number of pages I’ve illustrated: 510
- Longest consecutive issue streak: 42 (495 to present)
- I’m still considered “The new guy”
I do work for a lot of clients but no question MAD is my favorite. It’s been a lot of fun working for them over the years. Here’s to another 15!!
Sign up for the latest news, Caricature Workshops and more!
918 New profile pic courtesy of my self-caricature for the Scott Maiko penned article “Gotcha! Mug Shots of Common (but Despicable) Criminals” from MAD 550
- Classic Rock Sketch Series (42)
- Freelancing (152)
- General (1,214)
- Illustration Throwback Thursday (44)
- It's All Geek to Me! (53)
- Just Because… (1)
- MAD Magazine (562)
- Mailbag (545)
- Monday MADness (190)
- News (800)
- On the Drawing Board (159)
- Presidential Caricatures (47)
- Sketch O'The Week (572)
- Stuff from my Studio (5)
- Surf's Up Dept. (29)
- Tales from the Theme Park (17)
- Tutorials (17)
- Wall of Shame (17)