The Lovely Anna and I will be in Artist’s Alley at New York Comic Con again this year, October 8th-11th at the Javits Center. We’ll be at booth number G7, and I’ll have the following for sale:
- Signed copies of my book The Mad Art of Caricature
- Signed copies of MAD
- Original MAD pages- overpriced selections from movie and TV parodies from the last few years
- Original sketches- Various “Sketch o’the Week” drawings and other pencil drawings
- Comic-Con exclusive “Mini-prints”
- Limited Edition prints: “Men of Steel” (Superman), “The Game is Afoot” (Sherlock Holmes), and “Bats in the Belfry” (Batman)
- The debut of my newest L.E. print: “The Doctor Will See You Now” (Doctor Who)!
- Commissions and caricatures
The NYCC is probably our favorite con to do. San Diego Comic Con is great but frankly it’s just a little too much about stuff other than comics. There is a lot of pop culture at NYCC, but for some reason it just seems like comics are more front and center there. Also, Artists Alley at NYCC is actually full of ARTISTS, not people selling jewelry, phone cases, and quilts, like seems to be the case at many other conventions these days. I’ve got no problem with vendors selling this kind of thing at cons, but they should be exhibitors on the main floor, not in Artist’s Alley.
Another thing I like about NYCC (and C2E2, another ReedPop event)- you have to reapply every year for a space. That sounds bad, but actually it’s good. In San Diego and other major conventions there are people who have been squatting on locations for a long time who haven’t done any legitimate comics work in years (if ever), and causing long waits to get a space for artists that frankly should have one. ReedPop requires you to reapply each year, so they can prioritize who gets a space every show. I supposed the first time they don’t have a space for me I’ll be complaining about this policy, but I think it’s a good way to do it. When strolling NYCC’s and C2E2’s Artist’s Alley I see a much greater number of recognizable names and working comics artists than I do at other cons, where Artist’s Alley is full of print farmers and crafters.
So, if you are coming to NYCC, come by and say hello!
Sign up for the latest news, Caricature Workshops and more!
566 Sketch o’the Week- Julie Newmar! #batman #batman66 #catwoman #julienewmar
- Classic Rock Sketch Series (42)
- Freelancing (152)
- General (1,213)
- Illustration Throwback Thursday (44)
- It's All Geek to Me! (53)
- Just Because… (1)
- MAD Magazine (558)
- Mailbag (544)
- Monday MADness (189)
- News (798)
- On the Drawing Board (159)
- Presidential Caricatures (47)
- Sketch O'The Week (571)
- Stuff from my Studio (5)
- Surf's Up Dept. (29)
- Tales from the Theme Park (17)
- Tutorials (17)
- Wall of Shame (17)