It’s almost time of the annual Walt Disney Hometown Toonfest in lovely Marcelene, MO. I wrote about the stellar speaker lineup here, but here it is again for those who hate following links:
- Mark Fiore- Editorial cartoonist¬¨‚Ä†
- Wiley Miller- Creator of the comic strip Non Sequitor
- David Mowder- Hallmark Cards cartoonist¬¨‚Ä†
- Sam Viviano- MAD Magazine art director
Every year they have a wonderful show of original cartoon art, and they are once again calling for professional cartoonists to submit work for the show. Here is the call for art by show curators Paul Fell and Mike Edholm:
Dear Fellow Cartoonist:
It’s time to start gearing up for the 11th. Annual Walt Disney Hometown Toonfest in Marceline, MO, the little town where Walt spent part of his boyhood. Each year we celebrate Walt Disney’s life and work with this small-town festival that includes a parade, presentations by several nationally-know cartoonists, and a cartoon exhibit.
This year’s Disney Toonfest will be held Friday, September 18 and Saturday, September 19. As always, all events are free and open to the public.
If you have exhibited your work in previous Toonfest shows, we appreciate your participation and hope that you will be sending in two or three pieces of your work again this year. If you haven’t sent work to the Toonfest cartoon exhibit, we hope you’ll consider becoming part of our growing list of cartoonist exhibitors.
Here’s the details:
All work should either be matted or mounted on mat board or mounting board. We are no longer able to exhibit work that comes in unmated or unmounted.
While we will accept cartoon submissions right up until the day we hang the show (Thursday, Sept. 17) it will make our lives a lot easier if you can have it at the Toonfest Offices by Monday, September 14.
- At the end of the Toonfest exhibit we will ship your work back to you at no charge.
- Please be sure that your contact information is on the back of each piece.
- Suggested number of cartoons: 2-3
- The Disney Hometown Toonfest reserves the right to refuse to place work in the show that we consider inappropriate for inclusion in a family-oriented event.
Please send cartoons for the Toonfest exhibit to:
Walt Disney Hometown Toonfest
207 N. Main Street, USA
Marceline, MO 64658
Phone: 660-376-WALT (9258)
Kaye Malins¬¨‚Ä† email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Barb Boyd¬¨‚Ä† email: email@example.com
We will look forward to seeing your work in this year’s Toonfest cartoon exhibit!
Paul Fell and Mike Edholm
Toonfest Exhibit Coordinators
So, there you have it. I have a few original MAD pages in the show from the parody of “Grey’s Anatomy”. Unfortunately I will be unable to attend this year, but if you have never been to Toonfest it is a charming small town celebration of cartooning that is well worth the time.
Sign up for the latest news, Caricature Workshops and more!
918 New profile pic courtesy of my self-caricature for the Scott Maiko penned article “Gotcha! Mug Shots of Common (but Despicable) Criminals” from MAD 550
- Classic Rock Sketch Series (42)
- Freelancing (152)
- General (1,214)
- Illustration Throwback Thursday (44)
- It's All Geek to Me! (53)
- Just Because… (1)
- MAD Magazine (562)
- Mailbag (545)
- Monday MADness (190)
- News (800)
- On the Drawing Board (159)
- Presidential Caricatures (47)
- Sketch O'The Week (572)
- Stuff from my Studio (5)
- Surf's Up Dept. (29)
- Tales from the Theme Park (17)
- Tutorials (17)
- Wall of Shame (17)