Archive for the 'On the Drawing Board' Category
Thursday, December 8th, 2011
December is often one of the slower months for illustration work. It might just seem that way because I am usually slammed in October and November with projects for the “Year End” issues of publications… or maybe it’s because many magazines work on a yearly budget and by December they are tapped out for illustration money. I suspect the latter is one of the big reasons.
Not that I have nothing going. Here is what is on the rather light drawing board at the moment:
- MAD Parody- This one is of a very popular TV show that (as always) I can’t reveal until publication. I’m glad to have a “continuity” piece to work on for MAD again (that’s what the staff call the movie/TV parodies), although it was nice to have a little break from them the last two months. I did that Supreme Court video game feature in MAD #512, and the upcoming MAD #513 will have a two-pager I did for the “MAD 20″, but before that I did nine movie or TV parodies in a row (if you count “Toyota Story” and “The Wizard of O” as true parodies). Anyway, after that beat it will be fun to do another continuity.
- Jeff Dunham Art- Jeff keeps me hopping. Working an various illustrations and art for a variety of uses. Hopefully soon I can link to somewhere that will have some of his merchandise using some of my artwork.
I just finished up not one but two of those workplace posters for The Marlin Company- here are the roughs, inks and finals for both. Click on any image for a closer look…
Monday, November 7th, 2011
Clicky to Embiggen…
Currently on the drawing board:
- MAD Job- for #513. Acutally just wrapped that up today. Something for the MAD 20.
- Workplace posters- Not one, not two, but three of these all at once! Speaking of these jobs, artwork above was for a recent one.
- Jeff Dunhan Illustration- Something you should be seeing on T-Shirts and merchandise from Jeff soon… rush job.
That’s actually it right now. Kind of quiet on the drawing board all of a sudden…
Monday, October 10th, 2011
My most recent workplace poster illustration
Here’s what’s cooking on the board this week:
- Marlin Co. Workplace poster- Not the one above, but a new one.
- Animated MAD show art- new segment character designs
- Seattle Business magazine- Series of spots for a “best of” article
- Jeff Dunham art- More stuff for Jeff, hope to get to post some of this one of these days
Last week I wrapped up the above workplace poster, illustrations for Sports Illustrated Kids, Cleveland Magazine and Penthouse.
Monday, August 29th, 2011
Summer draws to a close and the drawing board is heating up. Here’s what I have going right now:
- Cover Illustration for the UTNE Reader- Kind of like my last cover for them, only different!
- Spot Illustrations for Cleveland Magazine- Fun little job for the city publication
- Jeff Dunham work- More illustrations for Jeff. I’m told he will have a TV special soon that reveals some of the stuff I’ve been doing for him (even credits me for it!) and when that airs I will be able to finally show off some of the work I’ve been doing.
- CG Animated Character Designs- More work for RG Entertainment that I did stuff for on their films Super Capers and I Want Your Money. The animated segments from I Want Your Money caught the interest of a company that is producing a series of over 20 commercials using the same characters. So I am now doing more turnarounds including Ben Bernanke and Pat Boone. No idea when they will start airing, but I’ll let you know.
- MAD- Something supposedly coming this week for issue #512, unless they got blown away by Hurricane Irene.
- Personal commission- No kidding, this one has been overdue for six years. Embarrassing. However seeing as how I finally got my book done, which I had been trying to do for about 10 years, this one seems like I’m rushing it.
Here’s some work I did recently for the Marlin Co. Click either image for a closer look:
Tuesday, August 2nd, 2011
Last month was one of the craziest months I have ever had in the studio. Besides the theme park operations in full summer swing, I did a six page parody for MAD, a two pager for Sports Illustrated Kids, several spot illustrations for Penthouse, a bunch of work for the ongoing project for comedian Jeff Dunham, art for two episodes of the MAD animated show for WB Animation/Cartoon Network and two poster illustrations for The Marlin Company, plus most of the art for the book… oh, yeah… and Comic-Con. Whew.
Right now I have nothing on the drawing board except the few illustrations I need to place and do captions for on the very last of the book, which goes to press on Aug. 15th. I’ve been turning down jobs in order to free up the first two week in August to wrap it up and get the files to the printer. Everything in on track for a timely arrive of the printed copies in mid-September as promised, and then a crazy week of shipping all the pre-orders I have received so far. Thanks to everyone who has placed an order!
Here is the art for one of the two Marlin posters I did last month, click either for a closer look:
a peek at the pencil rough
Tuesday, July 5th, 2011
Click for a closer look…
I’ve been swamped all summer, but have put several projects behind me in the last few weeks including:
- Sports Illustrated Kids- 2 pager
- MAD animated show work- Season Two begins
- Jeff Dunham Illustration Work
- The above Marlin Co. Poster illustration
I have just a few jobs on the board right now:
- MAD- 6 page parody for #511
- Yet another Marlin poster
- More Jeff Dunham stuff
- THE BOOK
Friday, June 17th, 2011
Sport Illustrated Kids has quickly become one of my regular clients, much to my delight. That publication was always one of those I’d wanted to do work for, and after doing a project for them back in March I am already working on my third job for the magazine. The current issue just came out with some art I did for an article on funny “trophy mishaps”, infamous stories about how various sports trophies have been dropped, broken or in one case run over by a bus. Here are a few of the spot illustrations I did for the article:
The Real Madrid team drops their Kings cup under the bus…
Maria Sharapova double faulted here…
This cup runneth over…
Tom Watson bogeys this one…
You can see some of these on video here.
Wednesday, May 4th, 2011
This week’s subject, east coast rapper Jay Z.
Friday, April 1st, 2011
I’m currently working on the last parts of my book on drawing caricatures and a new episode segment for “MAD” on the Cartoon Network, which is all keeping me pretty busy. I should be able to share work from MAD #509, a few magazine jobs including a cover illustration and some other goodies this month.
In the meantime, here is my latest workplace poster job for The Marlin Company:
The pencil sketch
The final artwork
Tuesday, March 15th, 2011
It’s rare that I don’t do any posting on The MAD Blog on any day but Saturday, but yesterday I was completely swamped after an all-nighter sunday night/Monday morning and some furious painting on a magazine cover illustration due yesterday afternoon. Then I passed out. Still recovering but on two two other jobs due ASAP, having just finished up a bunch of jobs in the last three weeks since getting back from vacation. Here’s what I’ve done since Feb 22th:
- NCS Reuben Weekend Illustration- See here
- 6 page MAD TV parody for #509- Another fun one of another popular show
- Illustration for the Food Network- Unknown if I can ever share this, it was for some in-house project
- Workplace Poster illustration- My usual assignment
- Sculpture turnaround design- For promo item for “I Want Your Money” film
- Magazine cover for Utne Reader- On news stands in April, will share when appropriate
Here’s what I’ve still got on the board right now:
- Jeff Dunham illustrations- Pencil revisions on two images today and finishing one final tonight
- Bobble Rep caricatures- A few of the 105 heads of new congress members for the iPhone app, due this week
- Workplace poster- Yep, already have my new assignment there.
I need another vacation.
Here’s some of the images from the above completed jobs I can share:
Workplace Poster Illustration- Click for a closer look…