Archive for the 'On the Drawing Board' Category
Monday, January 23rd, 2012
Actually I’m on vacation! But, there’s still work either in progress or waiting for me when I get back:
- Book Illustration- Doing a ten page/cover job for a book pitch. Don’t worry, I’m getting paid for it whether the book get’s picked up or not.
- Warner Bros. Video Box Artwork- a spot illustration that is being used for product packaging.
- NCS Reuben Brochure Art- My usual artwork for the cover of the Reuben Brochure.
Here’s my latest Marlin workplace poster illustration, pencil roughs and finals. There were some changes to the patient’s expressions asked for, as you can see from the end result. As always, clicky to embiggen:
The pencil sketch
The revised and final art
Tuesday, January 3rd, 2012
Here’s what’s cooking in the studio right now:
- MAD parody- Wrapping this up this week, can’t reveal the subject until it’s out in MAD #514.
- TV commercial character design- blogged about this earlier.
- Major book project- This was pending for a while but it looks like a “go”. Not a MAD book—I’ll be illustrating another author’s concept. This will take months.
- More Jeff Dunham art- Ongoing project.
Thursday, December 8th, 2011
December is often one of the slower months for illustration work. It might just seem that way because I am usually slammed in October and November with projects for the “Year End” issues of publications… or maybe it’s because many magazines work on a yearly budget and by December they are tapped out for illustration money. I suspect the latter is one of the big reasons.
Not that I have nothing going. Here is what is on the rather light drawing board at the moment:
- MAD Parody- This one is of a very popular TV show that (as always) I can’t reveal until publication. I’m glad to have a “continuity” piece to work on for MAD again (that’s what the staff call the movie/TV parodies), although it was nice to have a little break from them the last two months. I did that Supreme Court video game feature in MAD #512, and the upcoming MAD #513 will have a two-pager I did for the “MAD 20″, but before that I did nine movie or TV parodies in a row (if you count “Toyota Story” and “The Wizard of O” as true parodies). Anyway, after that beat it will be fun to do another continuity.
- Jeff Dunham Art- Jeff keeps me hopping. Working an various illustrations and art for a variety of uses. Hopefully soon I can link to somewhere that will have some of his merchandise using some of my artwork.
I just finished up not one but two of those workplace posters for The Marlin Company- here are the roughs, inks and finals for both. Click on any image for a closer look…
Monday, November 7th, 2011
Clicky to Embiggen…
Currently on the drawing board:
- MAD Job- for #513. Acutally just wrapped that up today. Something for the MAD 20.
- Workplace posters- Not one, not two, but three of these all at once! Speaking of these jobs, artwork above was for a recent one.
- Jeff Dunhan Illustration- Something you should be seeing on T-Shirts and merchandise from Jeff soon… rush job.
That’s actually it right now. Kind of quiet on the drawing board all of a sudden…
Monday, October 10th, 2011
My most recent workplace poster illustration
Here’s what’s cooking on the board this week:
- Marlin Co. Workplace poster- Not the one above, but a new one.
- Animated MAD show art- new segment character designs
- Seattle Business magazine- Series of spots for a “best of” article
- Jeff Dunham art- More stuff for Jeff, hope to get to post some of this one of these days
Last week I wrapped up the above workplace poster, illustrations for Sports Illustrated Kids, Cleveland Magazine and Penthouse.
Monday, August 29th, 2011
Summer draws to a close and the drawing board is heating up. Here’s what I have going right now:
- Cover Illustration for the UTNE Reader- Kind of like my last cover for them, only different!
- Spot Illustrations for Cleveland Magazine- Fun little job for the city publication
- Jeff Dunham work- More illustrations for Jeff. I’m told he will have a TV special soon that reveals some of the stuff I’ve been doing for him (even credits me for it!) and when that airs I will be able to finally show off some of the work I’ve been doing.
- CG Animated Character Designs- More work for RG Entertainment that I did stuff for on their films Super Capers and I Want Your Money. The animated segments from I Want Your Money caught the interest of a company that is producing a series of over 20 commercials using the same characters. So I am now doing more turnarounds including Ben Bernanke and Pat Boone. No idea when they will start airing, but I’ll let you know.
- MAD- Something supposedly coming this week for issue #512, unless they got blown away by Hurricane Irene.
- Personal commission- No kidding, this one has been overdue for six years. Embarrassing. However seeing as how I finally got my book done, which I had been trying to do for about 10 years, this one seems like I’m rushing it.
Here’s some work I did recently for the Marlin Co. Click either image for a closer look:
Tuesday, August 2nd, 2011
Last month was one of the craziest months I have ever had in the studio. Besides the theme park operations in full summer swing, I did a six page parody for MAD, a two pager for Sports Illustrated Kids, several spot illustrations for Penthouse, a bunch of work for the ongoing project for comedian Jeff Dunham, art for two episodes of the MAD animated show for WB Animation/Cartoon Network and two poster illustrations for The Marlin Company, plus most of the art for the book… oh, yeah… and Comic-Con. Whew.
Right now I have nothing on the drawing board except the few illustrations I need to place and do captions for on the very last of the book, which goes to press on Aug. 15th. I’ve been turning down jobs in order to free up the first two week in August to wrap it up and get the files to the printer. Everything in on track for a timely arrive of the printed copies in mid-September as promised, and then a crazy week of shipping all the pre-orders I have received so far. Thanks to everyone who has placed an order!
Here is the art for one of the two Marlin posters I did last month, click either for a closer look:
a peek at the pencil rough
Tuesday, July 5th, 2011
Click for a closer look…
I’ve been swamped all summer, but have put several projects behind me in the last few weeks including:
- Sports Illustrated Kids- 2 pager
- MAD animated show work- Season Two begins
- Jeff Dunham Illustration Work
- The above Marlin Co. Poster illustration
I have just a few jobs on the board right now:
- MAD- 6 page parody for #511
- Yet another Marlin poster
- More Jeff Dunham stuff
- THE BOOK
Friday, June 17th, 2011
Sport Illustrated Kids has quickly become one of my regular clients, much to my delight. That publication was always one of those I’d wanted to do work for, and after doing a project for them back in March I am already working on my third job for the magazine. The current issue just came out with some art I did for an article on funny “trophy mishaps”, infamous stories about how various sports trophies have been dropped, broken or in one case run over by a bus. Here are a few of the spot illustrations I did for the article:
The Real Madrid team drops their Kings cup under the bus…
Maria Sharapova double faulted here…
This cup runneth over…
Tom Watson bogeys this one…
You can see some of these on video here.
Wednesday, May 4th, 2011
This week’s subject, east coast rapper Jay Z.