Archive for the 'On the Drawing Board' Category
Thursday, September 19th, 2013
Most of these are in progress already but I’ve got a lot to get done before I depart on Saturday for Italia:
- CN MAD Show episode- This one is for the upcoming 100th episode in November!
- Brochure Cover Art- This is for a scientific event program of some kind, and features caricatures of Albert Einstein, Sigmund Freud, and Salvador Dali (!). An interesting project and one I will write about due to a certain aspect of it I sometimes run up against
- Marlin poster- My usual monthly assignment
- Jeff Dunham Illustrations- Doing a few of these for Jeff for some products
- Penthouse “Dave Navarro” Spot Illustration-
Tuesday, August 27th, 2013
Clicky to embiggen…
I’m crazy busy with travel in the next two months, so this workload is looming as being about three times what it is with my constrained drawing table time… Here’s what’s on the drawing board right now:
- Penthouse- More spot illustrations of celeb columnist Dave Navarro
- MAD- 7 page parody of a big summer movie for #524
- Jeff Dunham- Illustrations for some retail products
- MAD TV Show- Doing a secret side project for these guys…
- “When We Went MAD” Movie Poster- Summers almost over so I need to get serious about this.
I just finished the above Marlin Co. workplace poster, pencil sketch below.
Clicky to embiggen…
Friday, July 5th, 2013
Clicky any image to embiggen
Here’s what’s cooking on the drawing board right now:
- MAD parody- Very popular TV show, 6 pages, due yesterday
- Jeff Dunham Illustration- For a line of products
- Doctor Who print- Yes, almost done with this! Goes to printer on Monday. Will debut here probably on the 16th.
- Marlin Poster- My usual monthly assignment. Above was last month’s poster final, below the sketch and inks. You might notice the sketch was done digitally… I’m finding that drawing the roughs out digitally is a real timesaver, not because it’s faster to draw but because it’s faster to make corrections. Also, I am not so inclined to spend time on the line quality or waste it working up some meaningless detail better left for the final pencils.
- MAD Documentary Movie Poster- This is on the back burner until after Comic-Con.
- Special project for MAD Cartoon Network show- Ditto until after SDCC
The DIGITAL roughs
The inks (real ink on paper)
Friday, June 7th, 2013
I’m still a week away from coming up for air after the big NCS Reuben weekend two weeks ago (!!) Here are some projects I finished and/or am working on since I got back:
- Marlin Workplace poster- My May assignment, final above and sketch/inks below (clicky to embiggen) Completed
- Jeff Dunham Illustration- New one Jeff will use for an upcoming project being released next month. Will fill everyone in on that when it’s out. Completed
- WB Product Illustration- Another Alfred illustration for T-Shirts, etc- Final in Progress
- MAD Movie Parody- 6 Pages, last minute assignment for next issue. Final in Progress
- Marlin Workplace Poster-My June assignment. Sketch Phase
- Jeff Dunham Illustration- Jeff must be ramping up some retail projects. This will be for a specialty clothing item. Sketch Phase
That’s what”s going on right now. Oh, and I have a “Doctor Who” print to do!
Thursday, May 2nd, 2013
Here’s what cooking on the drawing board this week:
- MAD Project- A very interesting project for an upcoming book. I can’t give away much, but it’s being written by someone who is famous in the movie biz and will be an original part of a MAD collection book due out this fall.
- Promotional magazine cover/poster image- Repeat client I did an NBA cover image for last year.
- Workplace poster- My usual monthly assignment.
- MAD #522- I am supposed to have something in this issue but haven’t been assigned it yet.
Kind of quiet on the freelance front right now, although with the Reubens coming up this month that’s probably a good thing. I am currently in Massachusetts training new artists for my operation at Six Flags New England. May is by far the worst month for me as far as available time for anything.
Just for fun, above is last month’s workplace poster job final. I actually did two of those last month (I sometimes do extra ones for them). Below is the pencil rough for the above one, plus the roughs and final for the second. As always clicky any image to embiggen.
Pencil rough for first poster job…
Initial pencil for second poster. Interesting premise… they wanted a hospital staff shown exhausted at the end of a shift, being asked to look happy and fresh for pictures. The masks were their idea.
That one didn’t really work too well. I thought the masks were kind of creepy, espeically showing someone with one on. Instead I proposed we have them being handed out but no one actually wearing one. They wanted more exaggerated exhaustion as well. As you can see I did the revised roughs digitally.
Final image. I suggested we lose the actual photographer and replace with a box of “Happy Masks”. The whole thing is still a weird concept…
Thursday, March 21st, 2013
Pretty busy right now with several different projects:
- MAD book illustration- a super-secret and very fun little job for an upcoming major MAD book. This is still in the early stages but I’ll be working with a writer I’ve never worked with on it, and it will be an original piece for this new MAD book I can’t talk about.
- Workplace Poster- My usual monthly assignment.
- Advertising Illustration- This is a really time consuming but interesting project for the back of a film industry publication. It features caricatures of 60 plus people who work for this movie industry company, and it is a spoof of a famous movie poster. It’s also going to be gigantic—they want it big enough to be on the side of a bus shelter for alternate use. I’ll be able to post it after it’s published.
- MAD Cover!!! Ok, not for MAD itself but for an upcoming MAD special issue.
- WB Product “Alfred” Illustration- one more of these to do for T-shirts and merchandise… in review phase right now.
The drawing board is pretty MAD heavy right now with several side projects for them… and I am probably going to get assigned something for issue #522 any day now. Speaking of WB product stuff, I noticed they used one of my preliminary pencil sketches for the “Alfred Spy” illustration as a t-shirt design:
Here’s a couple of the preliminary sketches for that Alfred Leprechaun design I did… maybe they’ll end up as “sketch shirts”?:
Monday, February 25th, 2013
Clicky to Embiggen…
Super swamped right now:
- MAD- Five page movie parody, actually a franchise parody.
- Workplace Poster- My usual monthly assignment
- UTNE Reader cover- This will be my 4th cover for them.
- WB Product Illustration- Another “Alfred E. Neuman as…” for use on merchandise
- WB Animation/Cartoon Network- Designs for another episode segment
The image above was for a promotional poster/publication cover I did over a year ago that I don’t think was ever used. That was way before Howard was traded to the Lakers, so now it’s probably in the round file somewhere. I’m sharing it here for the first time, but I won’t mention the client or the intended purpose just in case.
Friday, January 25th, 2013
Clicky to Embiggen…
Right now I have basically nothing on the drawing board, except the dreaded “almost ready” sort of projects:
- MAD Job for #521- Promised to be “meaty”… might mean I am drawing cows. Still in the works in editorial.
- DC Comics job- Previously mentioned forthcoming assignment…
- WB Product illustration- One down on this two illustration job, second one still in development so in temporary limbo
- Workplace poster illustration- my usual monthly assignment, direction not yet delivered
That’s it for certain jobs bound to be on the way shortly, although there are a few “maybe” jobs in the works as well. I don’t mind, as The Lovely Anna and I are off to the beautiful island of Maui today to escape the Minnesota winter for a week. Thanks to the magic of pre-dated posting, Tom’s MAD Blog will continue on it’s usual arc of incoherent rambling.
Above is my latest workplace poster illustration, below the pencil rough and inks. Clicky to embiggen any image. Mahalo.
Monday, January 7th, 2013
Things are starting to heat up in the studio already this year:
- MAD- A very different assignment for me for issue #520. Extremely fun on a personal level.
- Warner Bros Product Illustrations- This one is held up with some conceptual rethinking
- Marlin Workplace Poster- My usual monthly assignment
- Limited Edition Books- Have a new batch to get done this week!
- Book Illustration- In negotiations but pretty much a done deal.
The image above is the last of my Dave Navarro spots for his column in Penthouse, which should have been in the most recent issue.
Tuesday, December 18th, 2012
As is somewhat typical over the holidays, pretty quiet on the freelance front. Very little going right now:
- Marlin Workplace poster
- Warner Bros product illustrations
- MAD #520 assignment (forthcoming… not sure what it is yet)
That’s about it.
The image above is a rare private commission done for General Mills for an executive who was either retiring or getting promoted. I used to do quite a few of these kinds of corporate commissions, including several for General Mills, but not so much anymore. Big companies would commission me to do a caricature illustration of an employee or executive who was retiring, being promoted, having a major anniversary or just needing congratulations for some accomplishment. They would then have framed and present it to them as part of some celebration. The lady above worked with Oprah Winfrey and Martha Stewart for a series of “Bake-Off” competitions, with lots of prize money, and was known as the “Bake-off Queen”.