Incidentally, this piece happens to be the centerfold of the printed issue… not sure if MAD did that on purpose, but it’s appropriate, don’t you think?
Archive for the 'MAD Magazine' Category
Clicky to visit the full sized sneak peek…
What?!? ANOTHER exclusive sneak peek at one of MAD‘s 20 Dumbest People, Things and Events of 2013??!? At this rate you won’t actually have to buy the issue at all! This is Dumb Thing #3, courtesy of the Huffington Post. Writer: Desmond Devlin, Artist: Drew Friedman.
Yest another exclusive peek at one of MAD‘s “20 Dumbest People, Events and Things of 2103″, this one courtesy of CraveOnline. It’s a mashup of “The Big Bang Theory” and the NRA, written by Mike Morse and featuring some awesome caricatures by Sam Sisco.
In MAD #525 due out next week, but already available on the iPad in in comic book shops, I did the art on a parody of the TV show “The Following”, written by Arnie Kogen. The splash was already debuted as a web exclusive last week… here are a few panels for the rest of the parody:
What, no words? Of course not… we have to try and get you to by the ferslugginer thing after all!
I’m afraid I wasn’t a very big fan of the show… the premise was so totally unbelievable, the good guys so incredibly unlucky and incompetent and the writing so deus ex machina (at any moment any previously trustworthy character can SURPRISE! be revealed as a member of the killer cult) it actually made me angry to watch it. It was like the writers thought the viewers so stupid and gullible we’d “swallow” anything (the title of the parody is apt). I read an article online this fall somewhere that claimed the producers of the show heard these complaints and promise a better product in the second season. Not sure I will tune in to find out… but maybe. The cast was pretty good.
On news stands everywhere on Dec. 17th, in comic book shops this week, in some lucky subscriber’s mailboxes already and available digitally immediately via the MAD iPad app:
MAD # 525 (February 2014)
- Cover (Mark Fredrickson)
- The Fundalini Pages (Jeff Kruse, Aton Emdin, Rick Tulka, Bob Eckstein, Matt Lassen, Justin Peterson, Kevin Pope, Teresa Burns Parkhurst, Desmond Devlin, Tom Bunk, Bob Staake, Steven Weissman, Stan Sinberg, John Kerschbaum)
- The Swallowing (Arnie Kogen, Tom Richmond)
- Spy vs Spy (Peter Kuper)
- Planet Tad!!!!! (Writer: Tim Carvell)
- The MAD 20- The Dumbest People, Events, and Things of 2013
- The Dysfunctional U.S. Congress (Jay Rath, Tom Richmond)
- The Boston Bomber and Rolling Stone (Uncredited)
- Weiner and Spitzer attempt a Comeback (Desmond Devlin, Drew Friedman)
- Miley Cyrus Appears on the VMAs (Artist: Scott Bricher)
- The Winklevoss Twins’ Bitcoin Venture (Artist: Mike Loew)
- Manti Te’o's Dead “Girlfriend” (Darren Johnson, Mick Coulas)
- IKEA Serves Up Horsemeat (Uncredited)
- Obama’s Drone Policy (Artist: Mike Loew)
- George Zimmerman (Darren Johnson, Garry Hallgren)
- Dennis Rodman, Our North Korean Ambassador (Desmond Devlin, Gary Hallgren, Color: Jim Campbell)
- The Obamacare Website Launch (Frank Santopadre, PJ McQuade)
- The CBS/Time Warner Cable Dispute (Writer: Dick DeBartolo)
- Russia Passes Anti-Gay Laws (Desmond Devlin, Peter Kuper)
- Paula Deen Drops the N-Word (Matt Lassen, Roberto Parada)
- Obama’s Bluff on Syria’s Chemical Weapons (Uncredited)
- The Leaking of Classified Documents (Desmond Devlin, Scott Bricher)
- Reese Witherspoon’s DWI Incident (Artist: Richard Williams)
- NSA Spying on Everyone (Mike Morse, Hermann Mejia)
- The NRA’s “More Guns” Solution (Mike Morse, Sam Sisco)
- The MAD 20 Fold-In (Al Jaffee)
- The Strip Club (Jason Yungbluth, Nathan Cooper, Kit Lively & Scott Nickel, Kenny Keil, David DeGrand)
- A MAD Look at Sleepovers (Sergio Aragonés, Colors: Tom Luth)
- The Best of the Idiotical
- The MAD Fold-In (Al Jaffee)
- Drawn Out Dramas (Sergio Aragonés)
As I mentioned after Zap2it.com had an exclusive sneak peek at the splash page, I did the art for a parody of the TV show The Following, written by Arnie Kogen. I also did the art on Dumb Thing #1, “The Dysfunctional U.S. Congress”. Until the issue comes officially comes out next week Tuesday, I can’t post a look at any of the other art I did from the issue. However there’s a good chance the MAD 20 piece will get an exclusive first look on someone’s website this week, and if that happens I’ll post it. I have linked to any such sneak peeks in the content above, so clicky away to set a look at some of the contents of this issue.
So, what are you waiting for? Go buy a furshslugginer copy, clod!
It’s another exclusive look into MAD‘s “20 Dumbest People, Events and Things of 2013″, this one courtesy of Popmatters.com! Visit their website for a closer look at Dumb Thing #15: Obama’s backpedaling after his tough talk on if Syria starting trotting out chemical weapons, which of course they did. Also on the post is a long, thoughtful, and intelligently written post about the poignancy and cleverness of this parody of the film “Silver Linings Playbook”… which entirely misses the fact that this is not a parody of that movie at all but a political commentary that used the movie’s poster to make fun of an entirely unrelated subject. On the plus side, it’s probably the smartest commentary I’ve ever read about MAD, which is a little like Stephen Hawking writing a thesis calculating the number of joules released during an average Miley Cyrus twerking episode. Enjoy.
MAD #525 featuring the “20 Dumbest People, Events and Things of 2013″ is on news stands December 17th… I just got my iPad digital copy yesterday!
Zap2it.com just posted a sneak peek to the splash of MAD‘s parody of the TV series “The Following”, words by Arnie Kogen, art by me. They have close ups of the four quarters of the splash so you can read Arnie’s gags, so visit their post for a better look. Amazingly they were able to write several paragraphs about the parody without once mentioning me or Arnie as the creative team!
I’ll post the pencil roughs for this as my “sketch o’the week” a little later today.
Here’s another exclusive look at one of “MAD‘s 20 Dumbest People, Events and Things of 2013″: This one courtesy of The Advocate.com takes Mother (or is it “Father?” Russia to task for their new anti-gay laws. Written by Desmond Devlin, art by Peter Kuper!