Sunday Mailbag- Empty!

I haven’t had to post this image in a long time, but I am fresh out of questions for the Sunday mailbag!

Well, it’s not really completely empty, but the only ones I’ve got right now are either repeats of previous questions or of the “can you teach me how to cross-hatch?” or “how do you exaggerate people in caricature?” variety which aren’t really questions so much as they are requests for long and involved tutorials, and are needing a lot more time than I can give for this weekly feature. A good Sunday Mailbag question can certainly involve an image or two and a somewhat long answer, but anything like a tutorial is a different matter.

It’s entirely possible that people have run out of questions. I have been doing this every week for almost eight years, and there are only so many questions people might have about freelancing, illustration, etc. So maybe this feature has run it’s course. I guess that’s up to you.

So, if you have questions concerning cartooning, illustration, freelancing, MAD Magazine or other similar subjects I’ll be happy to answer them as best I can. E-mail me your questions and I’ll try and answer them here!

8 Responses to “Sunday Mailbag- Empty!”

1. Gerald Carr says:

I have an original Richmond. I noticed their were no sign of pencil under your inking. How did you manage that? We’re you always a neat kid?
    Or do you have to be mad or god-like to work for Mad?

• inkslingerz says:

There aren’t any pencil marks because he probably traced it on a light table.
      Remember those?

I didn’t start inking via light table until pretty recently. Likely the piece in question I just erased the living hell out of. I use a medium hard pencil (HB) and don’t score the board with it so the pencils are fully erasable. Also, I do some pretty clean pencils… not a lot of stray lines to erase out.

2. Chris Chambers says:

I think it’s a sign you’ve been giving good answers and keeping folks well informed. If you took the Al Jaffee snappy answers approach, you would probably be doing the Mailbag from jail! But if you’d like a question anyway, I have one which has nothing to do with arty things. I live in England and am getting into baseball, where the sport is non-existent. An American friend wants to sell me his Babe Ruth dvd collection, each dvd signed by the great man himself, for £10,000. Would you say this a fair price?

3. Frédéric Duriez says:

Those who can’t wait for another post can read again the 284 pages you wrote : on the address : http://www.tomrichmond.com/blog/page/284/
    I replaced 284 by any number chosen at random between 1 and 284, and it appeared that almost each page was familiar to me !
    thank you !

4. V says:

“You’ve got mail”

5. anon says:

Have u ever drawn someone who looked like an alien hybrid?