I once again abused the faces of the guest speakers/special guests of the National Cartoonists Society’s Reuben Awards Weekend in the annual NCS Reuben brochure. This year the event will be held in beautiful Pittsburgh, PA. The scene above is of one of their famous “inclines”, a kind of cable car/train that goes up the steep side of the surrounding bluffs and gives you a commanding view of the picturesque three rivers valley. The caricatured speakers/special guests are all depicting either famous Pittsburgh natives or representing movies that were filmed in Pittsburgh. Here’s a key:
- Mo Willems in “The Silence of the Lambs” (filmed in Pittsburgh)- Speaker, Children’s book author/illustrator, animator, Multiple Caldecot, Emmy and Geisel winner.
- Brad Anderson as Andy Warhol- Milton Caniff Recipient/Speaker, Creator of the syndicated comic strip “Marmaduke”
- Drew Friedman as Frank Gorshin: Speaker, Illustrator/cartoonist for MAD, The New Yorker, Rolling Stone, National Lampoon, TIME, etc.
- Terri Libenson as Mary Cassatt- Speaker, Creator of the syndicated comic strip “The Pajama Diaries”
- Joe Wos as Mr. Rogers- Curator of Pittsburgh’s cartoon and comic art museum The Toonseum
- Rob Rogers as Ben Roethlisberger- Speaker, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette editorial cartoonist
- Jason Chatfield as Gene Kelly- Reuben Awards emcee and writer/artist on syndicated comic strip “Ginger Meggs”
- Lee Salem in “The Dark Knight Rises” (filmed in Pittsburgh)- Recipient of the NCS Silver T-Square