2011 NCS Reuben Art

Click for a closer look…

Having just received my official 2011 NCS Reuben’s Weekend brochure in the mail yesterday, I would say it’s okay to share the artwork I did for it and this year’s Reuben’s T-Shirt. NCS president Jeff Keane had me do an illustration this year that worked on both the t-shirt and the brochure, which means a lot of cartoon characters. Therefore we didn’t include any of the guest speakers this time around, but limited the “real people” to master of ceremonies Tom Gammill, NCS Gold Key Award (the NCS Hall of Fame) winner Roy Doty, the 2011 Milton Caniff Lifetime Achievement Award recipient R.O. Blechman, and Cartoonist of the Year nominees Glenn Keane, Stephan Pastis and Richard Thompson.This year’s Reubens will be held in Boston, MA.

This is the piece I was inking when on vacation in Hawai’i. The board got a little soggy from the humidity, but on the plus side it smells like the ocean.

21 Responses to “2011 NCS Reuben Art”

1. Chari =0) says:

Amazing, Tom! Getting psyched! Hope Hawai’i was amazing – can’t wait to hear all about it!

2. Ha! Now I better get that haircut just to be accurate (it’s been 6 months).

3. very cool
    I know the bay

4. Lee Fortuna says:

Tom, Is the T-shirt available to general public? Or we are just peasants,lol! Nice job on the illustration Tom! I always said your crowd scenes were right up there with the master crowd illustrator Jack Davis.

As far as I know the t-shirt is only available to members who attend the Reubens.. although we’ve sold a few left over ones at Comic Con.

5. jailerjoe says:

“Studs on Steeds” Excellent job, Tom…very fun illustration. Run, Earl…RUUUUN!!

6. john stevens says:

Tom:
    Wow !! This is Absolutely Amazing!! You captured everyone beautifully, as always!!
    Bob Blechman was my first cartoon instructor, at SVA back in 1966,
    This is the first time I’ve seen him since then.
    Great job, Looking forward to getting mine, and seeing every one in Boston this year.

7. Brilliant work as always – what Yeoman’s work, too, drawing around FIFTY cartoon characters in a CROWD SCENE, fer corn’s sake! Loved the caricatured horses, too.

8. Tom Stemmle says:

ANOTHER fantastic job! Bravo!

9. Tom Gammill says:

I’m riding a horse with Roy Doty! Life doesn’t get better than that! Thanks, Tom!

10. Awesome job,Tom! Wicked awesome!! :)

11. Nate Fakes says:

Awesome to see Roy Doty in this! Nice!

12. A really fun cover, Tom!

13. Tom Birmingham's Art Of His Mind Caricatures says:

Tom, Beautiful Excellency my friend. So glad to meet you in St Louie minicon to see you working on Samantha Who & not knowing to much about the show. I was so impressed to watch you coloring it on the Cintique, but I was really impressed knowing that you inked it all in the traditional way & just used the ” C ” as a tool for coloring. You have become my new Sam Viviano Fan, but don’t tell Sammy he was my idol along with Big Daddy Roth & Jack. I was so happy to be able to talk to you while you were trying to finish up for the deadline & you took the time to answer all my questions. You’re truly an inspiring friend & I was so happy to meet you, especially being a MAD FAN for years. Just wish I could have made the convention with you all, but my buddy Dan did get some autographs in my MAD books for me & I really appreciate it. Take care my friend, & tell Sergio to get some therapy : – )

14. Tom Birmingham's Art Of His Mind Caricatures says:

How can a FAN of your wonderful design get a shirt.

15. Looks great! Can’t wait to see you and the rest of the NCS in Boston this spring!

16. So, I see Edison has been sneaking out of the house in the middle of the night to fly around town. He is SO grounded!

17. Bill says:

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL illustration, Tom, as always. WHY, though, does every cartoonist drawing a picture of Boston reference Paul Revere? A lot of other stuff has happened here ya know! Oh, well, at least you didn’t draw everyone in a pot of beans…

“The Cartoonists are Coming” was too easy an solution to pass up. I considered the Boston Tea Party, but last year’s illustration was a water setting.

18. Wonderful work Tom. I’d love to have this as a poster in my studio. What are the chances? Someday I hope to be able to attend.