CGI Animated Characters

YouTube Preview Image

This is a teaser trailer for “I Want Your Money”, a politically conservative film by Ray Griggs that I did a whole bunch of animation character design for. You’ll see a few seconds of some of the animated segments. Unfortunately Ray had a lot of trouble with the animation companies that did the CGI and frankly the final results leave a lot to be desired. I think the modeling and basic characters look fine, but the talking animation part is rough.

Here’s one of the segments in full:

YouTube Preview Image

Just an added note- I have nothing to do with the message of this film… these are the opinions of the film makers and I just draw the funny pictures. Please don’t bother to leave any politically charged comments whether for or against the film’s content. I’m only sharing the artwork.

Since the images are out in the wild I guess it’s okay to share a few of the character designs I did. Click on any image for a closer look:

Tags: ,

16 Responses to “CGI Animated Characters”

1. Really? A film on spending by anyone in power?

Again, I just draw the funny pictures. The message is not mine.

• Wes Rand says:

Undoubtedly true. But for those who recognize your style, it does associate the “Tom Richmond” brand with the message. As the company Target is finding out.

There’s a pretty big difference there. This film has to do with differing economic policies and concepts, and debate over that is healthy regardless of which concepts you might agree with. If this film had been about opposing gay rights or the rights of some other group of people, or some other concept I thought was against my personal moral code, I would not have agreed to be a part of it. I’ve got no problem with differing political viewpoints, even those I do not agree with as long as they don’t tread on the rights of others.

2. I love these character designs! The CGi was ok. I think it could of looked better as 2D animation with some stylistic scenery.

Interesting film – I’d like to see it when it comes out.

3. Doug says:

I was watching trailers on Apple’s website and was surprised to see this. I thought it looked familiar – especially the poster. I looked for your name in the credits but couldn’t find it. Shouldn’t it be there since it’s such a large part of the movie (trailer at least anyway)?

4. Jon says:

This is more controversial than your Penthouse work.

5. They look good TOM. Great job!!!!! the Cg designs turned out nice too.

6. Great stuff Tom! Such tight designs, awesome work. Also, I loved your HUGE story in MAD this past month- WOW!

7. jailerjoe says:

The drawings are as true as the message! GREAT JOB!

8. Chris Berg says:

Great work Tom. Boy some of the political comments are a little scary. Artists should be able to do their work and have it judged on it’s own merits rather than be found guilty by association. What makes this country great is that we have a left and a right political sprectrum where all viewpoints can be heard and respected. It keeps the country balanced!

9. Hey Tom,

Your character design models are HILARIOUS! Here’s an idea I thought I would throw out. It would be awesome if those character designs were made into action figures (collect ‘em all). I’m sure there would be TONS of people who would throw some money down to get them (including myself:) Just a thought.

10. julio cesar naranjo says:

Hi Tom incredible design characters, its very awesome to see them interacting on 3d animation, the talking part its not very good but i think that it ill be not a big problem when your watching the film. Take care