Classic Jack Davis

Click for a closer look…

You’ll have to click on the image above to see the amazing goodness of the great Jack Davis at his greatest. It was posted by the mysterious “DD” on the MAD fan message board MadMumblings.com. Speculation is that it is a foldout from a 1965 TV Guide showing the NBC fall lineup of shows, or possibly an ad commissioned directly by NBC for TV Guide or some other publication.

Nobody drew dense crowd scenes like Jack. He would tell you the rich and earthy colors he got with his watercolor was a result of using lake water rather than tap water to paint with… I imagine his original paintings might have smelled a little funky using that bacteria-ladened mixture. You can hardly argue with the results.

Tags:

9 Responses to “Classic Jack Davis”

1. Mark Tatulli says:

Simply amazing. I could stare at that for hours, and I remember days in elementary school when I would do just that…have an issue of MAD in my desk and pull it into my lap so the teacher couldn’t see. Then I would just stare and admire and study Jack’s great work…and wonder how he did that. Thanks for sharing this, Tom. I wonder if the original art is tucked away somewhere?

2. Nate says:

Awesome work! Jack is amazing when it comes to his crowd scenes.

3. JWB says:

I guess this was put out soon after Jack’s classic “It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World” movie poster! Pure bliss! Sad thing is I remember watching a lot of those shows when they first aired! Camp Runamuck! Hank! And did they really air “Dr. Kildaire” twice a week?

4. Anton Emdin says:

Beautiful! Great find… I only wish it were bigger. Salivate!

Davis and Elder are like gods to me. Nobody drew a shoe like Jack Davis.

Thanks Tom! Interesting note about the lake water. I’m sure the lack of chemicals would have some small effect on the paint structure. May have to do some experiments!

5. Yes that is wonderful
    Thanks for sharing

6. Kannard says:

I know another artist that uses coffee with his watercolor and gouche (sp?). Never thought about lake water being this different. Interesting fun fact.

7. Does anybody know the exact issue that this was published in? I would like to try to find it on ebay…?

It is the 1965 TV Guide September 11 – Fall Preview Issue. The prices on this back issue range from $60-$100. (!!!)

8. Oh…uh…on second thought I think I will just enjoy the wondrous beauty of Jack’s artwork on your blog :}