The past weekend I conducted my first ever out-of-town workshop… and it was WAAAAY out of town–London, England!
The class of twelve included a wide range of experience and levels of skill. It went from some who were basically beginners who were interested in doing caricatures all the way to some local caricature legends. All were enthusiastic and we had a great time.
The workshop was over a Saturday (10-7) and Sunday (9-5), and included:
- Lecture on caricature and my approach and my MAD process
- Demos of my live work, illustration, inking and coloring techniques
- Lighting rounds of live caricatures of each other
- Observations and explanation of caricatures of over 30 individual faces
- One on one critiques, advice and Q&A
- Lunch on Sat and some social time at the pub!
- A bunch of free stuff
- A LOT of drawing!!
The best part of these workshops is the group. There is a lot of energy in the room. It’s a joy to see the work everyone is doing and work along with them.
I try to identify each participant’s needs as far as what they want out of the workshop, and send time with them to meet their goals. With just a diverse range of skills, that’s the hardest part.
In the end we all had a good time and I hope everyone learned a few things. Thanks to all the participants in London! Cheers!
Sign up for the latest news, Caricature Workshops and more!
4 LA Workshop no. 2 underway today!
- Classic Rock Sketch Series (42)
- Freelancing (152)
- General (1,210)
- Illustration Throwback Thursday (43)
- It's All Geek to Me! (52)
- Just Because… (1)
- MAD Magazine (554)
- Mailbag (542)
- Monday MADness (185)
- News (787)
- On the Drawing Board (159)
- Presidential Caricatures (47)
- Sketch O'The Week (568)
- Stuff from my Studio (3)
- Surf's Up Dept. (29)
- Tales from the Theme Park (17)
- Tutorials (17)
- Wall of Shame (17)