I had so many people sign up for the waiting list for my first workshop, I went ahead and scheduled a second one for the weekend before, which was the only time I had available until the snow flies around here. So actually this one will be the FIRST workshop, and the original will be the second. Half the class is already booked by waiting list people and there are only 6 remaining spots so if you want in do not procrastinate. I will not be doing another one in this area until next fall (if then) no matter how many people are on the new waiting list.
Also note I have added two new things to this (and to the original) workshop:
- Extended class time on Sunday– Rather than end the workshop at 1:00 pm I have added a lunch break and then a 1:00-5:00 final session. I wanted to be sure I get plenty of time with everyone on an individual basis. If you are flying in and wish to leave on Sunday, try and get a later flight. Otherwise you might need one more night in the hotel if you want to stay for the entire class. My original intent was to stop early enough for most people to be able to leave that afternoon and save a night in the hotel, but considering how far some people are traveling and the costs involved it seemed penny wise but pound foolish to have only half a day on Sunday. This way you can leave early if you want to, and I can make sure any one-on-one time gets in before you have to take off.
- Custom Caricature Workshop T-Shirt!!- Everyone who signs up for the class will need to send me some decent pics of themselves and their T-shirt size. I’m going to make a group caricature illustration of the entire class and put it on T-Shirts for everybody. One of a kind, with the dates and location of the workshop on it. Only the students of the class and myself will ever have one of these.
The details of Workshop 2:
Dates: September 16th-18th, 2016
Location: Eagan MN
Class size: Limited to 12 students
Friday, Sept 16th:
- 7:00 pm- 10:00 pm: Welcome party at Tom’s home and studio: Hors d’ouerves, food and drinks included. Tour Tom’s studio, look at lots of original art, complete discussion of process that goes into doing a parody for MAD, including demo of inking and digital painting (transportation provided to and from the hotel for those that need it)
Saturday, Sept 17th:
- 9:00 am- noon: Morning session– Lecture on caricature theory, drawing and exaggerating features, practical application
- Noon-1:00 pm: Lunch (included, provided onsite)
- 1:00 pm-3:00 pm: Afternoon session- Hands on drawing of multiple subjects, individual and class critiques
- 3:00 pm- 3:30 pm: Break (refreshments provided)
- 3:30 pm -7:30 pm: Evening session: Assignment of workshop project, one-on-one instruction and critique
- 7:30-??: Class dinner at nearby restaurant (cost on own)
Sunday Sept 18th:
- 9:00 am- Noon: Morning session- Finishing workshop project, one-on-one instruction and critique
- Noon-1:00 pm: Lunch (not included, on own)
- 1:00 pm 5:00 pm: Finish workshop project, class critiques, portfolio reviews
Quality Inn and Suites, Eagan MN
- Group rate: $79.99 per night for a King suite!
- Free transportation from and to MSP Airport
- Free hot breakfast, all day coffee
- Pool and fitness room
- Easy walk to multiple restaurants, stores and entertainment
Also Included in the workshop:
- A signed copy of “The Mad Art of Caricature”
- Your choice of an Artist’s Proof of one of Tom’s Limited Edition Prints
- Workshop T-shirt with the entire class caricatured
- Your caricature drawn by Tom
Required: $100 deposit to reserve your space. Balance due on August 1st
Anyone wanting to book a spot visit this page and put down your deposit. The PDF you will then download will give you the details on booking your room at the hotel (if you need one, that is not required if you are a local), other important info and will also have a form I’d like you to fill out with info for the workshop, your shirt size, etc.
As before I will accept a few names for a “waiting list” (no deposit required) in case I get any cancellations. The wait list would apply to either workshop in the event of cancellations.
Sign up for the latest news, Caricature Workshops and more!
496 2017 Best Nine on Instagram #2017bestnine
- Classic Rock Sketch Series (40)
- Freelancing (152)
- General (1,203)
- Illustration Throwback Thursday (41)
- It's All Geek to Me! (52)
- Just Because… (1)
- MAD Magazine (552)
- Mailbag (537)
- Monday MADness (180)
- News (781)
- On the Drawing Board (159)
- Presidential Caricatures (47)
- Sketch O'The Week (563)
- Surf's Up Dept. (29)
- Tales from the Theme Park (17)
- Tutorials (17)
- Wall of Shame (17)