Fifteen years ago this month The Lovely Anna threw a party at our house to celebrate the release of MAD #399, which contained my very first published piece for the magazine. A lot of water has passed under the bridge since that issue hit the stands. Here are some stats and facts from my one and a half decades with MAD:
- #399 turned out to be the last fully black and white issue of MAD printed on the old paper stock. #400 was a special color anniversary issue, #401 and #402 contained color portions and were on the upgraded stock, and in #403 it was announced MAD was switching to full color.
- Current MAD Art Director Ryan Flanders started with MAD at virtually exactly the same time I did.
- My first TV parody: “Malcontent in the Muddle” in MAD #403, March 2001.
- My first movie parody: “Traff-ecch” in MAD #405, May 2001.
- MAD went quarterly as of issue #500, then switched to bi-monthly with issue #504
- Number of issues my work has appeared in (thru #536): 113
- Number of TV parodies I’ve drawn: 36
- Number of movie parodies I’ve drawn: 30
- Number of pages I’ve illustrated: 510
- Longest consecutive issue streak: 42 (495 to present)
- I’m still considered “The new guy”
I do work for a lot of clients but no question MAD is my favorite. It’s been a lot of fun working for them over the years. Here’s to another 15!!
170 On sale tomorrow everywhere fine books (and this one) are sold!
- Classic Rock Sketch Series (19)
- Freelancing (148)
- General (1,122)
- Illustration Throwback Thursday (29)
- It's All Geek to Me! (52)
- Just Because… (1)
- MAD Magazine (503)
- Mailbag (490)
- Monday MADness (141)
- News (693)
- On the Drawing Board (156)
- Presidential Caricatures (47)
- Sketch O'The Week (516)
- Surf's Up Dept. (29)
- Tales from the Theme Park (16)
- Tutorials (17)
- Wall of Shame (16)