A MAD Rejection

July 29th, 2010 | Posted in MAD Magazine

This letter is making the rounds on the interwebby, so…

I first send my work to MAD back in about 1990 and got a rejection letter at that time, but this is not it. As I recall it was in the form of a checklist that had different reasons for the rejection, and it had the same sort of irreverent humor. Sorry now I didn’t save that… it would have been fun to frame up in the studio.

Comments

1. MJ says:

Ha,ha,ha that;s some funny stuff!

2. dave nelson says:

Ca-lassic!

3. On the letter there seems to be a faint image. Adjusted the contrast in Photoshop and Alfred E. Neuman appeared. Great!

4. Ben Carlsen says:

You know, I might send something in to MAD just to get one of those. With my luck, though, I’d probably just get accepted and never get one.

5. Kevin Richlin says:

I have two of those form rejection letters from 1991-92. They’re somewhere in the garage or buried in a time capsule under our septic tank. I’ll see if I can dig them up….

6. Howard Cruse says:

I also received that same rejection letter. It softened the blow of getting turned down in a very enjoyable way. I would still have preferred an acceptance, though.

7. Mike Wallster says:

The image of Alfred E. Neuman is a watermark, I know because I got a rejection letter back in ’73 or ’74 on the same stationary. I wasn’t thrilled at being (rightly) rejected, but to a 13-year old, having a humorous personalized note signed by Al Feldstein certainly took the sting out of it.

8. sharprm says:

They don’t give rejection letters/emails if you send stuff in by email though.

Instagram

Another great caricature workshop in the books! 2018 workshops planned for LA, Atlanta and Switzerland so far, with more to come. Visit tomrichmond.com/workshops for all the details!

Workshops Ad