The above is a very quick gag cartoon I did for a travel agent website that is now up and running. I was supposed to do regular cartoons as updates but I don’t know if that is going to happen. I’m just throwing it up here for the sake of having some art in this post, since as always I can’t share my latest jobs until they see publication.
I’m going out of town to St. Louis and the National Caricaturist Network Mini-Con on Sunday, so last week and this week have been/are crazy with my trying to get all my jobs out the door before I take off… I’d hate to have to spend time in the hotel room finishing a job but it looks increasingly like I may have to do that on Sunday night and Monday morning. Blecch.
Last week I finished or worked on:
- MAD TV Parody- Just finished the pencil rough stage, and have to do final pencils, inks and color before Sunday morning. Sleep will be a luxury this week.
- Movie Project- I finished two “set” paintings for the movie project I am working on. This movie job is very unique for me… I’ve never done work for a movie before but you’d be surprised how much art is involved in a movie production. The digital paintings I did are not part of the original scope of the work, but they needed two humorous images that look like oil paintings they planned on printing up at a huge size, framing and placing in the office of the main villain as part of that set. I am not sure how prominently they will appear in the film, but they were fun to do, even though I only got two days to do them in. I can’t show them to you yet, but the name of the movie is “Super Capers” and it’s up on IMDB with my name listed as “Illustrator” so I guess there’s no need to keep that part a secret. The main work I am doing has to do with the opening title sequence and some partially animated scenes in the film… I’ll be doing that in March.
- Retail Project- A political based retail project involving the major players from each party for some merchandise. Caricature illustrators have to love major election years… I’ve done three magazine cover jobs since the summer thanks to the elections, and they are still almost 9 months away!
- Workplace Poster- Finished up another of those regular poster projects.
When I did the workplace poster job early last week I took some extra time and saved a few steps along the way so I could do an abbreviated step by step of the process on the blog. I’ll post that tomorrow, starting with the initial art direction through the roughs, pencils, inks and color to final art. Check back tomorrow for the fun stuff.
Sign up for the latest news, Caricature Workshops and more!
583 2017 Best Nine on Instagram #2017bestnine
- Classic Rock Sketch Series (40)
- Freelancing (152)
- General (1,203)
- Illustration Throwback Thursday (41)
- It's All Geek to Me! (52)
- Just Because… (1)
- MAD Magazine (552)
- Mailbag (537)
- Monday MADness (180)
- News (781)
- On the Drawing Board (159)
- Presidential Caricatures (47)
- Sketch O'The Week (563)
- Surf's Up Dept. (29)
- Tales from the Theme Park (17)
- Tutorials (17)
- Wall of Shame (17)